What is Coaching?
The International Coaching Federation defines coaching as partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential, which is particularly important in today’s uncertain and complex environment. Coaches honor the client as the expert in his or her life and work and believe every client is creative, resourceful and whole. Standing on this foundation, the coach’s responsibility is to:
- Discover, clarify, and align with what the client wants to achieve
- Encourage client self-discovery
- Elicit client-generated solutions and strategies
- Hold the client responsible and accountable
This process helps clients dramatically improve their outlook on work and life, while improving their leadership skills and unlocking their potential.
What is the different between coaching and traditional therapy?
Thomas Leonard, found of Coach University, has made the following distinctions between coaching and traditional therapy:
- Coaching is about achievement; therapy is about healing.
- Coaching is about action; therapy is about understanding.
- Coaching is about transformation; therapy is about change.
- Coaching is about momentum; therapy is about change.
- Coaching is about intuition; therapy is about feelings.
- Coaching is about joy; therapy is about happiness.
- Coaching is about performance; therapy is about progress.
- Coaching is about synchronicity; therapy is about timing.
- Coaching is about attraction; therapy is about protecting.
- Coaching is about creating; therapy is about resolving.
As your coach you can expect the following from me.
- I will honor the time we are together and hold your confidences.
- I will not judge you and will respect your perceptions of the world
- It is not my “job” to change you. It is my privilege to bring into awareness, clarity of choices, and, if you choose, action to your life.
- This is my personal commitment to be impeccable with my word and keep my commitments to you.
- I will present an open heart.
- I will hold you in positive focus. We will concentrate on what is working in your life and how to create more that will work for you.
- I believe you have all your answers within.